November 20, 2012 // Category: Fitness Advisor
If you’re more likely to cut ties than go steady with your cardio routine, it’s time to recommit as cardiovascular exercise is one of the best ways to ensure the long-term health of your heart. Try these workouts and rekindle the magic of your routine:
Take On the Treadmill
Add variety to spice up your cardio workout by changing speed, resistance and incline throughout the workout to alternate high intensity intervals with recovery.
- Start with a five-minute warm up at 3 mph with a 1 percent incline.
- Follow with five minutes of slow jogging (4 to 5 mph).
- Pick up the pace (6 mph+) for one minute and run at a 2 percent incline or more.
- Return to the jogging pace at a 1 percent incline for two minutes.
- Repeat run/jog intervals 2 to 3 more times before returning to a five-minute walk.