FIT TIP: Wash Your Car—Yourself!
August 19, 2014 // Category: Fun Side of Fitness
Step away from the car wash, folks! Instead, swap a sponge and bucket for the gym and do it in your own driveway. You can easily turn this dreaded household chore into a great workout.
First off, the constant movement will burn calories in no time – about 250 calories per hour. To get the most out of your sudsy sweat session, blast some music and keep a quick and steady pace. You wouldn’t stop for a break in the middle of a HIIT interval during a group fitness class, so don’t stop for a break unless you’re swapping out dirty water. Plus, what other gym provides Vitamin D au naturel with a constant refreshing mist of water?
Squeaky Clean Exercises
A car wash definitely gets the heart pumping, but if you strategically add in a few exercises here and there, you can sneak in a strength workout!
- Hold a deep squat when washing each tire
- When you’re washing the side, swipe your sponge while doing side to side lunges
- Push-ups off the bummer of the car
- Do bicep curls with the bucket every time you need to pick it up
- Do calf raises when you are reaching up to clean the roof of the car
Wax On, Wax Off
If you’re an overachiever, go the extra mile and wax your car, too. Waxing really is a full upper body workout. Once you’re done, rinse off the sweat with the hose, and you’re good to go.
Shiny car? Check. Solid workout? Big check.