5 Exercises to Do with a Soccer Ball
June 09, 2014 // Category: Fun Side of Fitness
The World Cup is fast approaching, and what better way to mix up your training regimen than to engage in a thematically-appropriate soccer workout? No, you don’t have to be an expert. All you need is a soccer ball, a wall and a towel – you’re going to sweat!
Now get on the pitch and use these five exercises to get you ready for the Cup!
1. Dribble Drill Warm-up
- Find an area with 25 yards of space
- Run as fast as possible while dribbling the soccer ball between both feet
- Once you reach 25 yards, swivel 180 degrees, and run/dribble back the way you came
- Run the 25-yard distance 8 times, with a 30-second break after 100 yards
- Muscles Worked: full body
2. Side-to-Side Swivel
- Lay on your back, with your legs elevated in a straight, 45-degree angle from your body
- Hold the soccer ball with both hands at arm’s length, and keep your neck and upper back off the ground
- Swivel until the soccer ball is pointing to your left, then swivel back until it’s pointing to your right, and repeat
- 20 reps, 4 sets
- Muscles worked: abdomen and core
3. Ball and Wall
- Find a wall and stand fifteen feet behind it
- Kick the ball diagonally into the wall, hustle to stop the ball when it returns, and quickly fire it back
- Keep feet constantly moving during the interval, and land on the balls of your feet.
- 25 reps, 3 sets
- Muscles worked: quads, hamstrings, calves
4. Goalie Pushups
- Get in a pushup position, with the soccer ball directly under your chest.
- Keep the soccer ball in place by pressing both hands in a triangular position on top of the ball
- Complete a pushup by lowering yourself until your chest touches the ball, and then pushing off and rising back to the starting position
- 25 reps, 4 sets
- Muscles worked: chest, triceps, deltoids
5. All-Star Agility Drill
- Place the ball three feet away from you on an even surface
- For 30 seconds, move side-to-side around the ball as fast as you can, and maintain the three-foot radius at all times
- 10-second break
- For the next 30 seconds, stand next to the ball and tap it sideways with your closest foot – then hop over the moving ball and tap it back the way it came. Repeat as fast as possible
- 3 minutes of total exercise, split up in 30-second rotations
- Muscles Worked: quads, hamstrings, calves, core
Think anything here is too easy? Feel free to add reps, sets, distance or time to meet your needs!