Winner Shares Her Calf Boosting Tips
SCHILLER PARK, Ill., Sept. 8, 2010 – Earlier this year, Life Fitness, the global leader in providing exercise equipment, kicked off a nationwide “Search for America's Best Looking Calves.” Receiving numerous entries and calf-revealing photos from across the country, Plum, Pa. resident, Pattie Mangone, was named the winner.
Not only will Mangone having bragging rights for the next year, but she will also receive a Life Fitness F3 Foldable Treadmill. The Life Fitness F3 Foldable Treadmill is a first-of-its-kind foldable treadmill that doesn’t sacrifice quality or appearance, comes with a Basic Workouts Console for an easy-to-use interface with the essential workout programs needed to maintain an effective fitness regimen.
“I never thought I would win,” said Mangone. “Life Fitness paid me a huge compliment by selecting my calves as best in the nation. Working out has always been important to me, so it feels really good to be recognized by a fitness company.”
Luckily for the rest of America, Mangone, who works part time as a spinning and group strength instructor at her local East Suburban, Pa. YMCA, has agreed to spill the beans on the secret to her calf success. Following are Mangone’s workout tips to help you train for next year’s search.
Five-Day Workout Routine:
- Monday: Take a 30-minute group cycling class. Following the class, give your calves an additional workout with seated calf raises. Sit on a bench with heels hanging off, slowly squeeze up for 10, then point your toes down and slowly raise up 10 times. Repeat three times.
- Tuesday: Incorporate weighted squats into your workout. Stand with your feet apart, slowly bend your knees, letting your low back arch slightly and sticking your buttocks out behind you as if you were about to sit in a chair. Tighten your buttock and leg muscles, press down into the floor, and come up slowly. Do three sets of 10 squats.
- Wednesday: Take a 45-minute group cycling class. Again follow up the class with more calf-pumping exercise – a good old-fashioned session of jump rope. Jump rope in three minute intervals and repeat for five sets or try using the calf extension machine at your gym. Do 12 reps, and repeat three times.
- Thursday: Walk uphill on the treadmill. Set the incline on treadmill to a steep setting and walk briskly for 30 seconds uphill, rest for 30 seconds and repeat 10 times. Follow up with standing calf raises. Place one or both feet on a raised surface with the heel lower than the toes, raise the heel as far as possible, pressing the toes deep into the surface. Repeat for eight reps.
- Friday: Put your best foot forward with walking lunges. Stand tall with your shoulders back and abdominals engaged, place your feet together. Step forward with your right foot, bending both knees so that your front knee is aligned over your ankle and the back knee comes close to the floor. Alternate legs, lunge forward with your left foot, bending both knees so that your front knee is aligned with your ankle and the back knee comes close to the floor. Alternate legs for 20 steps.
About Life Fitness
Life Fitness is the global leader in providing fitness equipment. The company manufactures and sells strength and cardiovascular equipment under the brand names of Life Fitness and Hammer Strength and distributes its equipment in more than 120 countries. Headquartered outside Chicago, in Schiller Park, Ill., Life Fitness is a division of Brunswick Corporation (NYSE: BC).
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/lifefitness or join our Facebook fan page at www.facebook.com/lifefitness