Fitness While You're Flying
April 17, 2014 / Category: Fun Side of Fitness
Airport inconveniences just got healthier. If you’re a frequent traveler, you’ve undoubtedly experienced the annoyance of a layover – a surefire aggravation that begets a loss of time and comfort, all in a foreign city. But before you throw in the towel and head to that airport bar for fried food and beer – I’ve got a better idea. Why not use your time as a castaway to get a great workout in?
More and more, airports are reaching out to meet the needs of stranded or delayed fitness-focused travelers. Even better, many have now included fitness areas in their terminals or airport-accessible hotels. What this means for you – for a $15-$30 daily fee, you can use a multifaceted fitness facility with access to cardio machines, strength training, swimming pools and even spas. Let’s take a look at the best bets today.
• Chicago O’Hare International Airport – located on the arcade level of the Hilton Chicago O’Hare Hotel, this recently reloaded gym boasts a fantastic workout space with all-new Life Fitness cardio and strength equipment. You’ll also find a pool, Jacuzzi, steam room, and a locker room with showers. Price: $15 per day.
• Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport – you’ve got three solid options here: the free yoga studio in Terminal D, the LiveWell Walking Path (also in Terminal D), and the fantastic skySPA & Fitness Center on the rooftop of the Grand Hyatt. Price: $30 per day.
• Vancouver International Airport – Known for the Absolute Spa and accessible from almost everywhere, you can cash in with fitness equipment, spa treatments, jetlag solutions, a mechanized lap pool, and saunas. Price: $18 per day.
• Singapore Changi Airport – It’s considered one of the world’s best airports for a reason. Every terminal houses a state-of-the-art fitness center, complete with workout equipment, a pool and massages. Price: $11 per day for facility access, $20-$60 for massage.
• Dubai International Airport – The G-Force Health Club, situated throughout various terminals, features a 24-hour gym, a variety of massages, and the trifecta of pool-Jacuzzi-sauna. Price: $13 per day.
• Munich Airport – The Kempinski Hotel Fit & Fly Spa is an absolute knockout. Look for a fully-stocked fitness facility, a tranquil pool accented with daylight and greenery, a full spa, Jacuzzi, Finnish sauna, steam bath, and solarium. Wow. Price: about $28 for two hours, and about $40 for the day.
Looking for more information? Check out this comprehensive website for all of your airport fitness needs. As for you – start packing workout clothes whenever you fly, and turn that annoying layover into an easy layup.