Workout of the Month: 5K Training Schedule for Beginners
August 16, 2012 / Category: Fitness Advisor
Back in high school, I remember thinking running 26.2 miles was unfathomable. I was active in sports like softball and volleyball, but I couldn’t imagine running a 5K let alone a marathon.
Five years later I did run my first, and only, marathon. It was a great experience and I was quite proud of myself. However, I think I was actually more proud when I finished my first ever 5K race – I was officially a runner. It was a Turkey Trot and has become an annual tradition for me ever since.
Even if 3.1 miles seems impossible, I encourage you to give running a try. Whether it’s outdoors or on the treadmill, follow this schedule and you could be running miles before you know it!
9-Week 5K Training Schedule:
- 3 Workouts per Week
- Week 1 – Jog for 60 seconds, Walk for 90 seconds (20 minutes total)
- Week 2 – Jog for 90 seconds, Walk for 2 minutes (20 minutes total)
- Week 3 – Jog 90 seconds, Walk 90 seconds, Jog 3 minutes, Walk 3 minutes – Repeat twice
- Week 4 – Jog 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds, Jog 5 minutes, Walk 2.5 minutes, Jog 3 minutes, Walk 90 seconds, Job 5 minutes
- Week 5 – Jog 5 minutes, Walk 3 minutes, Jog 5 minutes, Walk 3 minutes, Jog 5 minutes
- Try jogging 20 minutes straight during Workout 3 of Week 5
- Week 6 – Jog 5 minutes, Walk 3 minutes, Jog 8 minutes, Walk 3 minutes, Jog 5 minutes
- Try jogging 22 minutes straight during Workout 3 of Week 6
- Week 7 – Jog 25 minutes
- Week 8 – Jog 28 minutes
- Week 9 – Jog 30 minutes
Don’t forget to include a 5- minute walk at a decent pace as your warm-up, and a 5-minute walk at the end to cool down.