This article, published in April in the Huffington Post, tells women to get a bikini body by simply putting a bikini on their bodies. They called for real women to post pictures of themselves in their swimming suits to show that beauty, sexiness and beach bodies come in all shapes and sizes.
The main takeaway here is that these women- lean, curvy, young, old, tall, short, pregnant, or not- all had one thing in common: body confidence.
Rocking that killer beach bod is more about your state of mind than it is about what size you are or whether or not you have washboard abs. Everyone deserves their time in the sun (and preferably on vacation holding one of those drinks with the little umbrella in it).
This is not a new theme- the programs, diets, pills and powders to help women get into “bikini body shape” have been around forever it seems, and the backlash against that super-model ideal have been talked about for awhile as well. Lots of magazines also offer tips on how to feel more confident in your two-piece. The problem is that all of their examples of confident women are still the airbrushed beauties with flat stomachs.
While advice on how to be your most confident self on the beach is everywhere, we understand that this is often easier said than done.
At Cybex, we place a lot of emphasis on strong and healthy bodies (as we should, being a fitness company and all), and incorporating exercise and wellness into your daily lives so you can look and feel your, strongest, healthiest and best regardless of your goals or where you are on your fitness journey.
Here are a few tried and true ways we have found to get you on your way to not only hitting the beach with confidence this summer, but also feeling great all year long:
- Eat well- eating junk food never makes us feel very good and surely is not going to give us that confidence to rock that new swimming suit no matter who you are! So regardless of your nutritional goals (vegetarian, vegan, paleo, “see-food”), eat foods that are nutrient dense and satisfy you without doing harm to your body.
- Focus on the inside- How is your cholesterol? What about your blood pressure? Do you know what your resting heart rate is? Notice we did not ask how much you weigh. While the number on the scale can be important, there are other factors in play that we often overlook. Total health starts from the inside out, and understanding your metrics is the first step. Your doctor will be able to help you with determining the right ones to track for you, but the important thing is you are tracking them. Which brings me to my next point…
- Track your progress- Whether your goal is to lower your cholesterol or improve your mile time, it is important to know your baseline and track your results over time. Whenever you have a rough day, or feel like you aren’t making enough progress, look back at your notes. You may be surprised at how far you’ve come.
- Drink plenty of water- Most of us walk around more dehydrated than we know. Staying hydrated is one of the key factors in staying healthy, maintaining healthy weight, and feeling our best. To increase your water intake, try swapping out one juice or soda for water every day for a week. The next week, trade out two, and so on and so forth. This may seem difficult at first, but you will start to notice a difference in the way you feel after a little while.
- Exercise- You didn’t think you’d reach the end of this blog without us mentioning exercise, did you? Exercise is one the best ways to get us on that path to feeling stronger and healthier, which is why we offer many workouts designed around your fitness level and goals, and feature the Arc Trainer and Eagle strength equipment. We have collaborated with top fitness professionals to ensure these workouts are safe, results-oriented and fun all at the same time.
Our view is that “beach body confidence” is really just a side effect of an overall healthy lifestyle. Focus on your overall health and the rest will come in time. To find out where you can begin your fitness journey using Cybex equipment, click here to find a gym near you.
Learn More About Cybex